Guidelines for Accepting Books
Donations of New Books and Used Books are gratefully accepted. Used Books should be gently used (covers and pages intact, clean and readable). Hard cover picture books with brightly colored pictures and interesting stories are ideal.
Board books are greatly appreciated, and Spanish and bilingual books are in great demand.
Books for children between the ages of birth to five years are in the greatest demand, although books for older children are also needed.
Books about religion and sensitive issues like divorce, abuse or death are not accepted.
Book drives are wonderful activities for neighborhoods, school groups, service organizations or companies. Inviting guests to bring books to birthday parties, anniversaries or other events is a perfect way to celebrate reading and provide books for children who might not otherwise have them.
Every child deserves good, quality books. Give the gift of reading!
To donate books, please use the ROR NJ site map and contact a clinic in your community to assist with their particular needs and requirements; or e-mail us at ROR NJ directly.
Download as a PDF--pdf is for KC.
Used Book Donations
Used book donations are given to older siblings and used to stock waiting room bookshelves.
New Book Donations
New books are given to children birth to five years at every check-up. Touch and Feel books are very much appreciated, as well as Spanish and bilingual books. Suggested authors and titles include:
- Boynton, Sandra Moo, Baa, LaLaLa; Blue Hat, Green Hat; Barnyard Dance; Opposites; A to Z;The Going to Bed Book
- Bridwell, Norman The"Clifford” series (these come in Spanish and bilingual as well as in English)
- Brown, Margaret Wise Goodnight Moon; The Runaway Bunny
- Christelow, Eileen Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
- DK Books “Touch and Feel” Series
- Hill, Eric “Spot” series (shapes, colors, numbers)
- Hoban, Tana Black on White; What Is It?; Red, Blue, Yellow Shoe
- Keats, Ezra Jack Snowy Day; Whistle for Willie; & others
- Martin/ Archambault Chicka Chicka ABC; Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
- Martin/ Carle Brown Bear, Brown Bear
- Marzollo, Jean “I Spy” series
- Miller, Margaret Baby Faces; Get Ready, Baby; What’s on my Head?
- Numeroff, Laura If You Give a Mouse a Cookie; & others
- Rey, H.A. The “Curious George” series
- Seuss, Dr. Dr. Seuss’s ABC; The Foot Book; Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?
- Wells, Rosemary Any of the MAX books; Old MacDonald; BINGO; The Bear went Over the Mountain; The Itsy-Bitsy Spider
You can get involved in Reach Out and Read and help pediatricians bring books and a love of reading into the lives of young children and their families.
$27.50 purchases ten beautiful, new books for a child.
Join the Friends of Reach Out and Read.
Donate your gently used children's books to ROR.
2 Orchard Drive
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920